Z39.86 Revision Minutes April 1, 2009
Time: 6:00 a.m. Pacific Coast USA, 7:00 a.m. Mountain, 9:00 a.m. East Coast USA, 14:00 UK, 15:00 Europe, and not sure about other locations.
The call was recorded and is normally available for 30 days before it is automatically deleted. Call +1 712.432.7300 and use the pin 25693# then press *3 and type in the file name: 20090401
Scribe: George Kerscher
George Kerscher , Markus Gylling, Reuben Firmin, Lynn Leith, Boris Goldowsky, Dominic Labbé,Ian Greenow, Lloyd Rasmussen, John Gardner, Kathy Kahl, Linus Ericson, Mats Johnsson, Neil Bernstein, Ole Holst Andersen, Rob Longstaff, Sam Ogami, James Pritchett,John Brugge.
Regrets: Hiromitsu Fujimori,Kenny Johar.
<a href="http://www.daisy.org/zw/Main_Page#Subgroups">Wiki for the Zed group</a>
1. ZedNext Authoring and Interchange, status update
Markus provided an update. Dennis Leas from GH Braille, Kathryn Randall from Vision Australia, and James Pritchett have joined the Zed AI working group. Dennis and Kathryn have now had their names added to the Z3986 mailing list, so they will be notified of our calls in the future. Leona Holloway, from Vision Australia was on the team, but is now on maternity leave.
Markus reported that the group has made wonderful progress. The next internal draft is scheduled to be available on April 17. The April draft is the one that all interested people on this group should review in detail. It is not recommended that the April 17 release be implemented for testing, because it is still being modified. The first public working draft is scheduled to be released on May 15, and this will include at least the "book" and the "periodical and News Feeds" profiles. May 15 release will have an associated forum for collecting comments. The May 15 release should be implemented and tested. Iterations will be released as they become available as well as Additional profiles.
The profiles will have "features" such as the MathML inclusion. We also expect the "interactivity" feature for testing and workbooks. Profiles will be very flexible; the spec will point to the location where they exist and new profiles will evolve independent of the approved specification. November 15 is the target date for announcing the draft standard for test use as an official NISO designation.
2. ZedNext Distribution
Part 2 of the revision deals with the distribution specifications. George explained that NISO has asked that we try as much as possible to include mainstream technology companies and publishers in this working group.
A discussion surrounded how and when to launch the formation of the ZedDist working group. The group consensus was that trying to hold a face-to-face as a launch point would be ineffective. Instead the recommendation was to start the ZedDist WG work on May 15, 2009, which coincides with the public draft of the ZedAI spec. We would invite targeted individuals and companies to join from this point forward. One of the design goals in having two parts and two working groups is that there will be overlap periods of time. The interactivity component most certainly will require many iterations to work out the details.
We expect to hold a face-to-face meeting of ZedDist in the September time frame. Prior to the f2f we will submit the working group roster to NISO for approval. The date of this will be one month prior to the meeting or earlier if the roster stabilizes.
2.1 Distribution Time line
We are Targeting May 2010 for the Distribution Draft standard for test use. This means that both the Authoring and Interchange part and the Distribution Part can be Submitted to NISO in November 2010, for approval before the end of the year.
Lloyd noted This aggressive time line depends on who joins the group and the resources they put into it. We all agreed that this was correct.
2.2 Extended participation, who to invite
George and Markus have been in touch with representatives from Microsoft. The video side of ZedDist is of interest and a representative is expected to be made available. Also it is possible that somebody from the Silverlight group may be made available.
Action item: George said he would be in touch with folks from O'Reilly to see if they would provide a representative. Reuben (after the call) communicated with George and he would get in touch with people at O'Reilly.
Action item: John Gardner will approach the American Physical Society to participate.
2.3 Delivery to NISO, when
Action Item: George will send to NISO these minutes and inquire if the timing is appropriate for having this work approved before the end of 2010.
2.4 Short update from Codec, Container, and Lightweight Audio Committees
Dominic Codec and Lightweight working group: Dominic provided an update on the codec research. The report is available on the wiki. A table shows the features.
The other working group under Dominic looked at the lightweight player features. This report is also available on the wiki. There is a straw man proposal that they have put together.
These groups were gathering information that the distribution group will need. everybody should review this work and ask questions. The group has no plans for further work, unless there are comments.
Reuben, Container working group: There are three phases, the first of which is analysis of the criteria practiced today. We have identified the criteria which includes a variety of factors, royalty, adoption, compression, where the TOC is placed, i.e. at the end of the container as in zip, etc. This phase is completed.
The second phase is where we examine the criteria associated with each option. Some options are Zip, ODF, OCF, etc. this work is progressing. The third phase will be the writing of the complete report and a straw-man proposal.
3. Review of DAISY Online
Kenny was missing, but we understand the status of the DAISY Online Distribution specification is near completion. On April 15, at our next call, We will ask Kenny to present the proposed specification. this group will be asked to review the specification. April 15 will kick off a 30 day public review period. After comments have been addressed the specification will be delivered to the DAISY Board for approval.
4. Maintenance items
There are two outstanding issues. One is metadata related and should be resolved in the validator. George will check with Markus on this. The second issue suggests to use a reference to XML 1.0: fourth edition, which would be more compatible with current implementations. George and Markus will make recommendation on these issues. These items do not need to be discussed. Recommendations will be made for future call.
Action item: George and Markus to submit the resolutions and cover the items through email.