- Localization: revised French translation, and added missing strings in metadata editor+validator, and extended image descriptions editor (DIAGRAM)
Image descriptions export: introduced support for ARIA "details" using the details+summary HTML5 elements (EPUB3 projects only).
Image descriptions editor: replaced bogus audio preview player by reusing the existing waveform view, added missing translated strings.
Project cleanup: implemented new "rollback" feature, to cancel the removal of project assets, and restore them into the original project.
Waveform editor: added longer time jump to ease audio navigation.
TTS: fixed erroneous selected voice in configuration dialog.
XML editing: improved the error message in case of bad user input for document structure modifications.
Pipeline2 support: changed the version detector to handle the latest version (as well as any future versions).
Audio playback: added checks for edge-case skipped buffers (DirectX).
This major public update contains all the changes from below v2.5.1 and v2.5.2 (which were only internal beta test distributions).
Metadata: new "import defaults" feature to make it easier to add bulk set of metadata items.
TTS: new feature to allow users to specify a mapping between synthetic voice names and document element names (for example, to associate H1 headings or page numbers with a different voice). Implemented a workaround for an internal Microsoft Speech API bug (SpeakProgress event), that was reproducible with eSpeak 32-bit SAPI5 voices, in some rare cases (because of erroneous text calculations).
Recording: bug fix for "play preview" used in conjunction with "overwrite" mode.
DAISY export: fixed bug related to generated audio filenames that contain section title string, in cases when the destination output folder is not located within the project folder. Fixed minor issue with audio file size reporting (negative value in progress dialog).
Waveform editor: 1500ms for "play preview", 500ms for fast-forward / rewind navigation.
Audio cleanup: separated commands as "complete" and "optimized": the former re-creates all the audio files sequentially, the latter re-uses existing WAV files whenever possible. In both cases, PCM data is batched together into individual files of maximum size (specified in user preferences).
Screen readers: keyboard focus on F6 + TAB into the document structure "trail" view (XML path)
Tobi.log: now separate .NET3 and .NET4 files, updated desktop shortcuts
MSI installer: .xuk and .xukspine file associations now working
188.8.131.52 (private BETA build)
- Audio cleanup: new strategy (opt-in, off by default) to preserve existing WAV files in order to decrease filesystem I/O (which is problematic over network shared drives). WAV files can still be bundled / batched together, based on a maximum file length.
184.108.40.206 (private BETA build)
Audio recording: always-on recording mode (can be toggled via status bar button, or Tobi's preferences dialog)
Audio waveform: fixed select+replace bug (including pasting audio across multiple chunks / phrases, for example when using "edit audio externally" or the built-in audio processing functions such as speed-up / slow-down)
Project export: section headings in generated audio file names (can be configured via application preferences, and at export time via dialog checkbox)
Misc.: Tobi.log now located outside of the program-files folder (fixes "administrator" mode problems) and desktop shortcut has standard icon rather than the same as application icon (to avoid confusion).
Image description editor: fixed Windows 10 bug with audio player.
Audio cleanup: now produces ordered list of WAV files as per document order, and RIFF header is not incrementally updated anymore (to avoid unnecessary network storage I/O)
- Structure editing: enabled DAISY DTBOOK edit-time "validation" using the official DTD, but XHTML5 does not have a DTD (so no authoring-time validation utility is provided for EPUB3). The FlowDocument renderer now gracefully degrades when encountering DTBOOK/XHTML5 markup that it cannot display (e.g. blocks inside inline-level elements). The FlowDocument refresh is now total, instead of incremental (safer, more robust). User interface improvements to allow users to temporarily skip warning / error messages (avoid "nagging" with popup dialog messages). Advanced XML input now supports multiple tree roots (raw source editing).
- F2 text editing: now supports multiple document fragments by iterating through the list of tree node leaves. Fixed bug with non-empty whitespace characters.
- Structure trail accessibility: keyboard focus restored when interacting with refreshed XML path.
- Audio export: removed unnecessary large audio assets copying, now results in smaller output.
- Image descriptions: the default audio playback library does not work on Windows8, so automatic fallback to another framework.
- TTS audio waveform: fixed refresh bug (undo/redo).
- User registration dialog: new optional (but recommended) feature to allow users to identify themselves (e.g. email address) so that the Tobi userbase can be better known, and served.
- ClickOnce: the application is now unsigned (to avoid certificate expiry and public key invalidation), and the deployment URL has changed to avoid clashing with existing installations. Previous ClickOnce installs must be uninstalled, and the new ClickOnce links must be used.
(test build, only MSI application installers) http://www.daisy.org/tobi/structure-editing
- Structure editing: copy/cut/paste (dedicated clipboard, separate from audio waveform's own clipboard), insert page break/number, insert custom element / arbitrary markup, remove document fragment, full undo-redo support
- Page break numbering: re-ordering feature, with custom offset option.
- Project resource cleanup: now generates ordered filename sequence (4 digits with zero-padding to sort alphabetically in file explorer) + maximum size of generated audio WAV files (in Mega Bytes units).
- Structure trail: accessible tooltip now with top- and sub- level document selection.
- EPUB3 split / merge: continuation of v2.3.1 (see below) => new [CTRL-U] EPUB spine dialog checkbox "show merged", additional sortable columns for file size, chapter index, direct button for merging entire EPUB
- MathML: incremental / on-demand loading, message reminder for new load behaviour (modal dialog with "do not show message again" checkbox) + user-configurable options for initial and selection number of loading items
- Text search: fixed document "find" command
- Audio WAV import: RIFF header parsing now tolerates zero-byte padding
- DAISY Pipeline: although v1.8 is out, Tobi allows the use of v1.7 as well
- Buttons / commands: disable some commands under certain conditions
- EPUB3 split / merge: this functionality was available only for DAISY projects, now for EPUB3 as well. Note: unlike DAISY, an EPUB publication is sub-divided into a list of spine items, so one extra step is required to aggregate the final product from the individual split / merged sub-projects.
- Recording global state: now most commands are disabled during recording, i.e. menu items, including the recent files list.
- EPUB3 export: fixed bad handling of package OPF file in root directory, added support for empty TOC labels.
- Find command (CTRL+F): when invoked, now automatically stops playback / recording / monitoring (i.e. when the search text field gets focused).
- Audio clipboard copy / cut / paste: the paste command is now enabled during playback. The current waveform selection gets deactivated, the audio is inserted at the cursor (no overwrite).
- Pipeline2 conversion: when invoked, now automatically stops playback / recording / monitoring.
- Project cleanup: when operation fails or is cancelled, the "deleted" files are restored.
- Audio export: additional progress report strings, to inform users appropriately during long-running audio conversions operations.
- DIAGRAM image descriptions: EPUB3 export (XHTML5), including audio and alternative images (like DAISY projects), based on @longdesc, @aria:describedAt, @aria:describedBy / iframe + fixed metadata issue when importing DIAGRAM XML.
- Audio waveform selection: "select left" now correctly places the playback cursor.
- EPUB3 project export: fixed NCX validation issues after single-chapter ebook export (only one EPUB spine item) + fixed dc:xxx metadata when authored via the DAISY-centric editor.
- Audio waveform feature - "edit externally": now restores existing document fragments instead of suppressing then when re-importing the modified audio file, longer and shorter durations are handled gracefully by uniformly distributing the time difference.
- TTS audio (synthetic speech): added convenience command for full-document TTS (in addition to fragment-specific TTS).
- EPUB-Check validation: clearer differentiation between warning and error messages.
- Audio waveform, recording timer: now remains correct after UI magnification.
- Document renderer: support for image/video dimensions in percent, pixel, and implicit units + text cache memory optimisation.
- Audio waveform processing: preliminary support for basic effects (hard-coded, not VST plugins), slow-down / speed-up (time stretch, preserves pitch), amplification (linear factor, no dB yet), normalisation (fast C implementation, no configuration parameters yet, basic handling of waveform peaks).
- Audio MP3 export and MP4-AAC import: external lame.exe and faad.exe executable processes are now cancellable + fixed MP4/M4A file extension and mimetype.
- Language localisation: Spanish, contribution from Juan Islas Carbajal, Presta Tu Voz (Mexico). The language code to set in preferences is "es".
- Exception handling: reports are now deeper in the error chain, providing much more detailed stack traces.
- Project split / merge: new feature to divide a project into several sub-projects, using markers (CTRL-K) to define any arbitrary split points in the document (currently only for DAISY projects, not EPUB3).
- Language localisation: now gracefully handles unknown language code in preferences.
- Preferences: fixed loss of settings when upgrading application.
- Audio recording: new quick-shortcuts derived from full keyboard gestures (e.g. R for CTRL-R). The focus must be within the audio pane (F7). Supported commands are record, monitor (the space key stops both).
- Note references: fixed support for follow/unfollow link (in the case of non-explicit note/noteref fragment ID anchors).
- DAISY to EPUB 3 conversion: Pipeline2 v1.7 is now required.
- DTBOOK: added missing support for roman page numbers in frontmatter.
- File paths: date/time stamps now use invariant culture (consistent format, independent of language).
- Directory deletion: workaround for .NET error.
- Document renderer: top-level selection drawing now disabled by default, to reduce performance impact.
- DAISY to EPUB 3 conversion: updated support for Pipeline2 v1.6 (automatic registry-based installation detection), support DTBOOK foreign namespaces (example: GH talking books)
- EPUB3 page numbers: fixed display of empty (span) elements with "title" attribute (typical EPUB 3 page break)
- EPUB 3 XUK project structure: fixed filename references, requires re-importing EPUB files in some cases (some naming formats still work)
- DAISY/EPUB export: fixed possible (rare) rounding error of time values, SMIL clip begin/end
- MSI installer: added readme.txt about setup.exe and internet connection requirement, renamed application shortcut (to diferentiate from ClickOnce), added desktop shortcut, added link to LGPL license file
- French UI translation: Association Valentin Hauy, Institut National des Jeunes Aveugles, France. The language code to set in preferences is "fr".
- Previous/next text navigation: fixed "auto adjust granularity" feature to handle special edge cases
- TTS synthetic speech: now selects the correct document fragments to narrate
- Video renderer: fixed possible exception (null pointer) due to multithreaded callbacks
- Document renderer: added option to highlight / colorize the "orphean" text-only XML fragments (useful for debugging synchronisation granularity)
- Tobi MSI installer: now available in addition to basic ZIP archive, and ClickOnce (which is the only distribution method that offers automatic incremental updates).
- DAISY to EPUB 3 conversion: now communicates with the Pipeline 2 server to perform format conversions, cancellable progress bar, dialog to choose to import or EPUB-Check only.
- Validation (ZedVal): fixed bad reporting.
- Export of note + reference: option checkbox (true by default) to generate follow-up virtual note / annotation immediately after noteref / annoref, in the SMIL.
- Text-only export: support for no-audio SMIL and metadata.
- File path length: warning dialog to prevent "File Path Too Long" errors raised by Windows, shortened XUK Tobi project names.
- EpubCheck: v3.0.1 update.
- TTS: improved speed of synthetic speech generation.
- Document (XML) selection: fixed performance with fast previous/next navigation ("scroll into view" and vertical centering now behaves faster).
- WAV import: added measure to handle corrupted RIFF headers.
- User manual / help: Tobi now includes a .chm file for no-internet use (otherwise, online documentation is generally more up-to-date).
- Audio split + shift: new option to disable automatic playback after split (useful for screen reader users).
- Image decriptions: added checkbox to filter-out alt="" (empty attribute) in the list of images in the document.
- Tobi update notification: now available in non-ClickOnce distributions, but full download from website is required (no automatic incremental download).
- Save as: protection against folder overwrite, and better file naming.
- User interface: separated open / import menu items.
- EpubCheck: Tobi now ships with the latest v3.0 stable release.
- Pipeline 2: new experimental feature, available conversions are DTBOOK, DAISY 3 and DAISY 2.02 to EPUB 3.
- Metadata editor: fixed "add new item" error, names now editable (in addition to combo box / pulldown list of choices).
- Text selection: fixed bugs related to TTS-gen, previous/next document navigation.
- DAISY 3 export: fixed NCX labels and page numbers trimming.
- EpubCheck: updated to version 3.0 RC2.
- URI / URL syntax: implemented correct support for escaped characters (e.g. spaces inside file paths => %20 ... keep in mind that they are forbidden in the DAISY 3 format, and advised against in EPUB 3).
- DIAGRAM image descriptions: fixed regression bug, whereby the data cleanup failed.
- XUK pretty formatting (expert feature): fixed a project-corrupting bug (edge case that occurred only in certain circumstances).
- Audio recorder: fixed rare issue that occurred on some machines because the Windows filesystem is sometimes unable to close a file stream and quickly afterwards open a new handle to the same file (we never actually managed to reproduce the bug, but some users reported it and we diagnosed it via the Tobi.log).
- EPUB 3 Media Overlays import: fixed support for single SMIL file for multiple "chapters" (.xhtml files).
- XUK pretty format: fixed "save" errors that occurred when users toggled the "Pretty XUK" option whilst a project was opened.
- Auto save: when this feature is enabled, the project file (.xuk) is saved automatically each time a successful undo-redo operation is performed, that is to say: each time some data is changed in the project. In the unfortunate case of an application crash or severe data-corrupting error (exception popup message), the last auto-save project file can be used as a recovery method. There is a time window of 1 second before the auto-save actually occurs, to allow for several contiguous undo-redo operations to perform without disc I/O interruption (i.e. the auto-save is postponed until there is a totally "free" 1s slot).
- Cleanup: now deletes intermediary project backups (.xuk files with date stamp), as well as the "autosave" backup. Note: a time-stamped backup is created just before the cleaned-up project is saved to disk, so it is possible to revert back to the pre-cleanup project, by copying the data files back into the data folder.
- Import/export validation: ZedVal (DAISY) and EPubCheck now both integrated tightly within the import / export workflow.
- HTML 5 navigation document: now automatically generated when missing, using the HTML 5 outlining algorithm (note: works across multiple HTML documents, for example when importing an EPUB / OPF / container.xml fileset that does not have a navdoc yet).
- EPUB 3 ZIP archive creation: drag and drop of a folder on the Tobi GUI results in generated .epub archive (mimetype file is added automatically if missing). Useful for tweaking EPUB 3 content after export directly within the _ZIP folder