DAISY Online Delivery
Specification for the DAISY Online Delivery Protocol
The DAISY Online Delivery protocol is a web service Application Programming Interface (API) that facilitates the delivery of digital content from service providers to end users.
Version 2 of the protocol introduces:
- Improvements in communication to support low bandwidth connections (e.g. mobile cellular data)
- Remote reading system configuration
- Support for packaged and partially packaged content (including EPUB 3)
- Clarification and optimization of functions for greater consistency
- Many more enhancements
A more detailed list of the new features can be found on the development Wiki: https://github.com/daisy/DAISY-Online-Refresh/wiki/New-Features.
The DAISY Online Delivery Protocol Version 2 was approved by the Board in June 2015, and the current version of the specification Version 2.0.2 was published in November 2015. A supporting Guidance document has also been published to assist people implementing the specification.
Use case examples:
- Pyxima: Legimus app helps young people read
- DAISY Online: American Printing House for the Blind
- Connect with Vision Australia's New App [DAISY TechWatch]
- Textalk Reader Delivers New Accessible Content Daily [DAISY Planet]
- Pyxima and DAISY Online Delivery [Slideshare]
- DAISY Online Delivery: Providing Access to Information in an Effective Way [DAISYpedia]
- CSUN 2015 Presentation: Improving Accessible Publication Delivery Globally [Slideshare]
- Victor Reader Talking Book Players from HumanWare fully support DAISY Online [Short case studies]
- CNIB Launches "Direct to Player" Download Service [DAISY Planet]
- Innovative online book player makes a big difference [Vision Australia]
- Vision Australia Online Delivery Project [DAISY Planet]
- Pratsam Mobile in Finland
- Pratsam Reader
- Design for All Philosophy: Accessible E-books in Flemish Public Libraries [DAISY Planet]
The DAISY Online Delivery Protocol Version 1 reached Recommendation Status by the DAISY Consortium in 2010. It was developed by the DAISY Online Working Group operating under the DAISY Online Delivery Project Charter.
- Version 2.0.2 specification (current copy)
- Guidance document for implementing Version 2 of the specification
- Version 2.0.1 specification (archive copy)
- Version 1: 2010 Technical Recommendation
- Archived documents
Last updates to this page: May 5th, 2016