Obi 3.9.1, released on December 14, 2016
Obi 3.9.1 provides localization updates for the recent release of Obi, version 3.9. It comes with updates to French, Spanish, Finnish, and Portuguese language packs. It also introduces a section property that lists the pages in the section.
The 3.9 release came with superior performance and enhanced capabilities to integrate with members' diverse production environments. It achieved higher performance with the 64-bit version that utilizes better capabilities of the 64-bit Windows system and presented the option to increase the efficiency for screens with higher resolution. It introduced the features like cleanup rollback for reversing the last cleanup operation, new information in phrase & project properties for advance users, brought enhancements to on-the-fly phrase detection, etc.
Furthermore, the release presented new configurations and personalization for even better integration with members’ workflows. These included configurable English fonts and waveform channel colors, options to show cursor time in stop state, option to warn before section manipulation and many such preferences that can be configured instantaneously via preferences profiles.
To know more about new features, new configurations, and improvements, please go through the details below.
New features and enhancements of Obi 3.9.1 & Obi 3.9
Updates to 4 language packsVersion 3.9.1 brings updates to French, Spanish, Finnish, and Portuguese language packs. Many thanks to the following organizations and individuals for the translations:
- European Digital Reading Lab for French
- Spanish National Organization of the Blind (ONCE) for Spanish
- Hannu Tiihonen for Finnish
- Vitor Ferreira for Portuguese
High performance version for 64-bit systemsThe release presents separate set of installers for 64-bit systems, in addition to the existing 32 bit version, to enable Obi utilize the capabilities of the 64-bit Windows and improve the performance of the user interface.
Option to improve efficiency on higher resolution screensYou can now increase the efficiency of Obi on large sized screen also; just enable the option Enlarge the phrases with the increase in resolution in Project tab of the Preferences dialog. It will preserve the orientation of phrases in Content View, and will improve the efficiency by preventing accumulation of large number of waveforms in the view.
Rollback the last Cleanup operationObi now lets you rollback the last cleanup operation. Simply click Tools->Clean unreferenced audio->Rollback and reinstate the removed unreferenced audio back in the project. You can disable this functionality by checking the check box Disable rollback for cleanup in the Project tab of the Preferences dialog.
Please ensure that the folder where the cleanup operation saves the removed unreferenced audio should not be deleted, or rollback will not be executed successfully.
Enhancements to on-the-fly phrase detectionNew Obi brings further refinements to the on-the-fly phrase detection making it more robust and proficient. In addition, it comes with the choice of skipping the page phrases for phrase detection during live recording. To activate this option, check the checkbox Prevent on the fly phrase detection on pages in the Audio tab of the Preferences dialog.
Change the font of Obi’s UINew Obi presents the first phase of font personalization for English language. You can select the desired font for Obi’s UI elements using the Color & Font tab of the Preferences dialog. This preliminary phase enables selection of a set of popular English fonts.
New section property, for listing pages in the sectionVersion 3.9.1 introduces a section property that displays comma-separated list of page numbers of the pages in the section. This property can be viewed using the Section Properties dialog.
Waveform channel colors can now be personalizedNew Obi enables you to configure the colors of waveform channels (mono channel, stereo channel 1 and stereo channel 2) from the Color & Font tab of the Preferences dialog.
Option to warn the users before cutting, deleting, or renaming sectionsYou can instruct Obi to warn before performing section manipulation such as cut, delete or rename. This feature can be activated from the Project tab of the Preferences dialog.
More information added to phrase and project properties for advanced usersThe Phrase Properties and Project Properties dialogs can now show information for advanced users. To enable the advanced properties, check the check box Show advanced properties in properties dialog in the Project tab of the Preferences dialog. The advanced properties introduced in this release are:
- Total file count in project properties that shows total number of audio files in the project.
- File name in phrase properties that displays the name of the file(s) containing the audio content of the phrase.
Active audio profile now shown in title barThe title bar of Obi now also shows the audio profile currently loaded in Obi. It will appear after the project file path.
Ability to preserve audio zoomObi now saves the current audio zoom level for Content View. Henceforth, the users do not have to configure the audio zoom level each time they start the application. To disable this behavior, uncheck the check box Preserve Audio Zoom for Content View in the Audio tab of the Preferences dialog.
Also, the current zoom level can be preserved in the Zoom Waveform View with a new check box, Preserve Zoom. If this check box is checked and you apply audio zoom to the waveform, it will be preserved and automatically re-applied when the view is opened again.
New/Modified keyboard shortcutsThe following keyboard shortcuts have been added/modified:
- The keyboard shortcut Ctrl+U has been added to turn off/on the Play on navigate option spontaneously.
- Zoom Waveform View keyboard shortcuts for moving the focus to the next phrase and previous phrase have been changed to Alt+Right Arrow and Alt+Left Arrow respectively to make them in sync with the Transport Bar keyboard shortcuts.
Visibility of small page phrases improvedA page phrase will now be of minimum 10 pixels in Obi. This is done to ensure the visibility of page phrase even when its length is very small, say 0.4s. In such a case, it can be hard to locate it. By having a minimum size of page phrase, its visibility is ensured.
Option to fix TOC View widthYou can now fix the width of TOC view to prevent its automatic or manual adjustments. It will ensure consistent visibility of book's structure irrespective of Obi's window size.
To do so, first set the TOC view to the desired width using mouse or by adjusting panel splitter. Thereafter, check the check box Fix TOC view width in the Project tab of the Preferences dialog. Once you fix the TOC view width, Obi will not allow its adjustments, unless you uncheck the check box again.
Option to display cursor time in Transport Bar in stop stateThe Time Display field of Transport Bar can now show the current cursor time in the stop state also. To enable this behavior, check the check box Show cursor time in Transport Bar in stop state in the Audio tab of the Preferences dialog. If this check box is unchecked, Obi will display “0” in the stop state as earlier.
Please note that the cursor time in stop state is shown only for Elapsed in phrase and Elapsed in section values of Time Display.
Choice of moving the focus to the last phrase played in playbackTo facilitate new narrators in recording, Obi can now select the last phrase played in playback when playback stops. To enable this behavior, check the checkbox After playback, select the last phrase played in the Audio tab of the Preferences dialog.
Option to record from first empty phrase with Record Section commandObi presents the option to start recording from the first empty phrase of the section, which forces the Record Section command to record in the first empty phrase instead of recording at the end of the section. To activate this behavior check the check box Record in first empty phrase with record section command in the Audio tab of the Preferences dialog. This feature is specific to the workflow of Vision Australia. It reduces errors when complete structure of the book is created before starting the recording process.
Enhancements to XHTML exportThe XHTML export now inserts some new metadata entries at the beginning of the exported XHTML file for facilitating the narrators. This feature is also specific to the workflow of Vision Australia.
You can find help on the functionality of these features in the “What’s New?” page of Obi Help, which can be viewed by clicking on the Contents menu item under Help menu of Obi.
To always get notified about the latest updates, please register yourself as an Obi user using the user registration form provided in Obi.
List of some major bugs fixed & behaviour changes made in this release:
- If the background color of live recording waveform panel was changed, white patches were seen when a part of panel was selected and then deselected.
List of some major bugs fixed & behaviour changes made in Obi 3.9 release:
- If Play on Navigate was active and next phrases were loaded in Zoom Waveform panel one after the other, the audio cursor failed to move to newly loaded phrases.
- If a heading contains the letters "aud", and the project was exported with the option of append section names to audio file names, the letters "aud" were removed from the file names.
- Audio profiles status in the title bar had inconsistent behaviour.
List of some major bugs fixed & behaviour changes made in beta 2 release:
- If peak meter and TOC view were hidden, zoom panel threw exception while navigating phrases.
- If there were empty pages after the recording position, the recording command in VA-Overwrite profile selected the last empty page of section instead of selecting the last recorded phrase.
- Setting system to some regional languages spoiled time in smil duration attribute due to representation of decimal with comma.
- Recording waveform panel threw an exception occasionally, when recording was stopped.
- On changing language, the font was not reset to default.
List of some major bugs fixed & behaviour changes made in beta 1 release:
- On some systems, rare glitches were observed in the recorded audio.
- If zoom waveform panel was invoked on an empty page, an exception was thrown.
- If focus was moved to another phrase while recording, the green color of the phrase being recorded also moved to the selected phrase.
- Obi's log file has been moved to the users settings directory from program files to prevent the problems related to permissions.
List of some major bugs fixed & behaviour changes made in alpha release:
- Setting system to some regional languages spoiled smil timings, due to the conventions of representing decimal with comma instead of dot.
- The new check box to disable creation of new headings and pages while recording fail to work in some cases.
- Even if a profile was deleted from profile list in the advance preferences, it was not deleted from the recording toolbar preferences.
- If the Preview before Recording command was stopped during the preview (i.e. before initiation of recording), the recording could not start again.
- If the user changed the path of XHTML export in the Export dialog, the location of the exported XHTML file did not change.
For complete list of fixed bugs please visit fixed issues page
To download Obi 3.9.1 please visit download page.