DAISY talking books can be helpful for students of all ages:
- DAISY provides an enriched multimedia reading experience that is completely accessible and navigable
- DAISY offers text and audio synchronization
- DAISY audio recordings can be made by professional or volunteer narrators, or can be generated as synthetic speech
- DAISY can support Braille output
- DAISY provides adjustable character display
- DAISY meets both simple and advanced reading needs
DAISY is for EVERYONE who needs accessible information and for EVERYONE who loves to READ
DAISY multimedia can be:
A talking book or computerized text, also a synchronized presentation of text and audio produced according to DAISY Standards. While reading a DAISY book, a reader can go to the next or previous page, chapter or sentence. These books can be distributed on a CD/DVD, memory card or through the Internet.
You can listen to DAISY books on:
- Standalone DAISY Players
- Computers using DAISY playback software such as AMIS
- Mobile phones
- MP3 players - with limited navigation
- iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
More information about different features and benefits of DAISY Players can be found on DAISYpedia.
A computerized text DAISY book can be:
- Read using refreshable Braille display or screen reading software
- Printed as Braille book on paper
- Converted to a talking book using synthesized voice
- Printed on paper as large print book
- Read as large print text on computer screen
How is DAISY multimedia useful for students?
- Readers can place multiple bookmarks and move around quickly, therefore DAISY is ideal for locating material quickly when studying.
- The DAISY structuring allows essays and papers to be completed to academic standards with footnote details and bibliography.
- Some digital DAISY playback devices have the ability to record, so you can record lectures.
More information about DAISY in education: Case Studies, Guidelines and Pilots.
More information about DAISY production.
Is it hard for older adults to learn DAISY technology?
- Many older adults who try DAISY books and players find them easier to use than books on tape.
- DAISY books can be contained on one CD or on a memory card, there is no need to play multiple cassettes.
- DAISY books have good sound quality, you may find a DAISY book easier to hear.
- Different models of DAISY players have been designed for older adults and leisure reading, with large buttons and simple operation.
Where do I get DAISY books?
- Bookshare (DAISY 3 - approximately 165,200 titles)
- Celia Library in Finland (approximately 40,700 titles)
- Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic in the United States, now Learning Ally - (DAISY 2.02, structured audio, approximately 61,000 titles)
- RNIB in the United Kingdom (DAISY 2.02 structured audio - approximately 20,000 titles)
- Medibus in Germany - approximately 35,000 titles
- The Association Valentin Haüy in France
- BrailleNet in France
- Dedicon in the Netherlands (approximately 42,000 titles)
- The Swedish Library of Talking Books and Braille (TPB) - approximately 80,000 titles
- DZB in Germany- more than 11,000 titles
- Association for the Blind of Western Australia
- L'Association pour le Bien des Aveugles et malvoyants in Switzerland
- Swiss Library for the Blind, Visually Impaired and Print Disabled (SBS) - (DAISY 2.02, approximately 40,000 titles)
- Vision Austalia's Information Library Service in Australia (approximately 39,000 titles)
- ONCE in Spain - more than 18,000 titles
- NOTA in Denmark - more than 17,000 titles
- Norwegian Library of Talking Books and Braille - approximately 10,000 titles
- CINB Digital Library in Canada (DAISY 2.02 structured audio, approximately 80,000 titles across different formats)
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) in the United States (approximately 400,000 titles - extension of the 2002 DAISY/NISO standard)
- Pyxima: DAISY Books Online
- National Braille Press
- Internet Archive: Open Library - more than 1.2 million titles
- O'Reilly eBooks
- Dolphin Computer Access (DRM-free samples)
Please check our Members and Friends list for additional providers and producers of DAISY content.