epub daisy best reading and production complex layout with images

Forums: 

I am new to this and have several questions on the different daisy and epub formats and how to use them. I am reading impaired and using apple and iphone7 TTS and Voice Dream Reader. And, I in an early stage of developing a book scanning/e-book project at the Oakland SUDO room hackerspace.

If given a choice, which is the preferred format for text and images for sighted people with reading disability: epub or Daisy? (I could get an ipad) The links are down on your wiki pages that would address this.
http://www.daisy.org/daisypedia/epub-daisy-standards-under-revision

And, for reading that standard with complex layout and images text synced to TTS, what is the optimum cheap versus expensive software?

Which format is best for e-book creation book scanning where you start with a high resolution image of a page of text - with any level of complexity in design, layout and images - and end up with an ebook which can highlight the text while playing back TTS with user selection of voices and speeds? (The TTS level of control and quality in Voice Dream Reader is my frame of reference.) Very important are the quality and usability of the final product by sighted but reading disabled people and the ease and simplicity of automation of the production.

Hi Jacques,

I have tried to answer your questions based on my experience. I have also included links to online resources for more information.

Q1. If given a choice, which is the preferred format for text and images for sighted people with reading disability: epub or Daisy?

Prashant: Both DAISY and EPUB 3 are good. Generally individuals and small organizations find it easier to convert documents to DAISY format.

Q2. And, for reading that standard with complex layout and images text synced to TTS, what is the optimum cheap versus expensive software?

Prashant: On Android and iOS you can install Dolphin EasyReader. It is available free of cost from the rspective app stores. It is very good. VoiceDream is also very popular, but it does not display images. On Windows platform, EasyReader is considered to be the best but it is not free. DDReader+ is a free tool for reading DAISY 3 format.

Q3. Which format is best for e-book creation book scanning where you start with a high resolution image of a page of text - with any level of complexity in design, layout and images - and end up with an ebook which can highlight the text while playing back TTS with user selection of voices and speeds? (The TTS level of control and quality in Voice Dream Reader is my frame of reference.) Very important are the quality and usability of the final product by sighted but reading disabled people and the ease and simplicity of automation of the production.

Prashant: You will need to run the image PDF through an OCR like Fine Reader. You can export the text with images to a Word file. Now it is very important to mark-up the document using styles. The sections and sub-sections should be applied heading styles, tables, lists and footnotes should be properly created. Images should be provided text descriptions.

Then you can use any of the following tools to create the DAISY book: Dolphin EasyConverter(fully featured), Dolphin EasyConverter Express(Free version), Save as DAISY plugin for Word(free), Dolphin Publisher(professional tool for many formats).

Please have a look at the follwoing articles for more information:

From Inaccessible to Accessible: Workflow Examples

Text mark-up guidelines for Save as DAISY

CREATE TEXT ONLY DAISY BOOKS

CREATE MULTIMEDIA DAISY BOOKS WITH FREE TOOLS (using text-to-speech audio)

Thanks, Prashant