Basic functions for recording

Forums: 

As a beginner with OBI, the following questions:
- How to do punch-in recording?
- How rewind (Cue), play and then punch-in (Record)
- Is it possible to disable automatic phrase detection.

Greetings
Johnny Vanderspikken
Transkript
Hasselt
Belgium

Hello Transkript,

Welcome to obi forum.
Thank you for posting your query here.

- Regarding punch in recording, play a phrase pause it,select a part of audio that you want to replace, press record button( keys Ctrl+Shift+R) to start your recording and press space to stop the recording.You can see that original phrase is cut into 3 parts.Middle part(2nd phrase) will be your recorded phrase.
- Rewind can be started using Ctrl+, keys. Press space to pause it and again press space to start playback.Also there is a single key "e" to move back in phrase. Punch in recording can be done similarly as given above.
- If you dont want automatic phrase detection on imported files ,then while importing audio files( keys Ctrl+I),Import audio file settings dialog comes select "Split phrases on import" radio button and enter the time in minutes at which the audio file should get split.
To disable Automatic phrase detection while recording ,please uncheck "Perform phrase detection while recording" checkbox in audio tab in Preferences( keys Ctrl+Alt+F).

Hope it resolve your issues.
Thanking you.

With Regards
Rachana

• I'm not sure if you know what "punch-in" recording means, because your solution is beside the question. We don't want to know how to "replace" a fragment, we want to know how to playback the audio, and then, while playing, go into recording mode; aka punch-in (Just like every DAW software worldwide works) This is a "basic" operation in every recording tool worldwide.

• About rewinding: is it possible to rewind the audio, over the differtent phrases, while hearing the audio? (cue) This also is a basic operation in every DAW!!!

Hello again,

I think you are looking for Preview before recording feature.
Go to Preferences (key Ctrl+Alt+F) dialog, open Audio tab and check "Use record button to preview before recording".
You can also start Preview before recording through Transport menu ->Record -> Preview before Recording and recording options button in Transport bar.Here you will be able to hear the playback before recording starts.

Regarding Rewind on different phrases in a section,you can select a section, start playback and pause from where you need to start rewind operation.Then click Ctrl+,(comma) to start rewind.As i already informed there is a single key shortcut "E" ,it will also do the playback while rewind is going on.

You can also refer Obi help manual for more description on these operations.
Its under Help menu ->Contents.

Thank you.

With Regards
Rachana

Any sugestions?
We did not hear from you.

Johnny Vanderspikken

Hello,
Obi is a daisy authoring tool and it does not have straightaway punch in recording.
I have already replied to your query regarding Punch in recording and Rewind feature in Obi in my last reply.
Thanks.

With Regards
Rachana

Hi Johnny,

I just saw your post and hope I can help.

In Tools/preferences/advance you can load (drop-down select) a profile called VA Overwrite.

This is a user profile (pre-assembly of user preference options) which allows for recording button (r) directly from playback. It will overwrite all following audio phrases in the selected heading without need to stop or record from stop status (as you describe).

There is also another profile you can load called VA-Insert which is same except it will preserve audio following your punch in point.

I find I am fine without a traditional analogue style rewind key. I just use the mouse to move the cursor back a nice amount of distance (actually much quicker/better than waiting for traditional rewind button!) and then use space-bar to commence playback from cursor position. In VA-overwrite mode Obi will playback accross multiple phrases and will punch-in as per standard DAW/recording behavior.

I hope this is helpful.

Ed Gamble - Vision Australia.

Hi Johnny,

I just saw your post and hope I can help.

In Tools/preferences/advance you can load (drop-down select) a profile called VA Overwrite.

This is a user profile (pre-assembly of user preference options) which allows for recording button (r) directly from playback. It will overwrite all following audio phrases in the selected heading without need to stop or record from stop status (as you describe).

There is also another profile you can load called VA-Insert which is same except it will preserve audio following your punch in point.

I find I am fine without a traditional analogue style rewind key. I just use the mouse to move the cursor back a nice amount of distance (actually much quicker/better than waiting for traditional rewind button!) and then use space-bar to commence playback from cursor position. In VA-overwrite mode Obi will playback accross multiple phrases and will punch-in to record status (r) as per standard DAW/recording behavior.

I hope this is helpful.

Ed Gamble - Vision Australia.