Save As Daisy Add-IN for Office 2013

I just downloaded and installed the Save-AS-Daisy add-in for Microsoft 2013 64 bit addition. After installing the Add-IN, I saw the folder and the instruction manual. However, I didn't see an accessibility ribbon or an additional add-in in the add-ins ribbon. I also checked the Manage Add-ins category in the Options tab and didn't see it either. I didn't have any office applications running when I installed the add-in. Have any of you got this add-in working? if so, I could use some pointers. I am Blind and use JAWS for Windows 15. Thanks so much.

I am also a Jaws user on Windows 8.1 with Office 2013

1. In WORD OPTIONS click on ADD-INS and then in MANAGE list select DISABLED ITEMS.

2. If you see DAISY TRANSLATOR in the disabled items list then enable it.

3. Again open WORD OPTIONS and inside ADD-INS > MANAGE list select COM ADD-INS

4. If DAISY TRANSLATOR IS unchecked, put a checkmark against it and click OK.

Close and open Word to check if you now have Accessibility in the ribbon.

Hope this works for you. Save as DAISY is working fine on my system here.

Prashant

Hello Prashant. Thanks for your reply. I don't see the translator anywhere in the Manage Addins. Do I need Java? Should I have executed the setup as administrator? Thanks so much.

Did you say that Office was not installed when you installed Save as DAISY?

If so, then this is the reason why you are not getting the accessibility ribbon. Please uninstall the DAISY Translator and after ensuring that Office is properly installed run the DAISY Translator setup again. It is better if you install from an account with admin rights.

Save as DAISY requires The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0. and and Java run time 1.5 or above

During Save as DAISY installation you wil be notified if anything is missing. If you have an updated Windows 7 or 8 then you will not need anything else.

Prashant

Hello Prashant. I took the following action.
1. I have the Office 2013 Professional 64 bit version installed on this machine.
2. I made sure that all office applications were closed.
3. I uninstalled the Save As DAISY Translator add-in.
4. I downloaded and installed JRE 1.8.0_05.
5. I enabled the Java Access Bridge.
6. I installed the Save As DAISY Translator add-in as administrator.
7. I ran Microsoft Word as administrator.
8. I went backstage and accessed the Add-Ins category.
9. I checked the Disabled Add-ins and the translator was not there.
10. I checked the COM add-ins and the translator was not there.
I still do not have an accessibility ribbon. Do you have any additional suggestions? What version of the instruction manual are you using? Thanks so much.

The Save as DAISY installer for Office 2013 64 bit was recently developed. It has not been tested widely.

Which operating system are you using? Note that you should install 64 bit Save as DAISY only if you have 64 bit office.

If you also have 32 bit version of Microsoft Office then you may also try out the 32 bit installer of save as DAISY with it.

Hello Prashant. I installed the incorrect version. I uninstalled the 64 bit version and installed the 32 bit version. Now all is well. I was able to resolve the error in the accessibility demo document and translate it to a full DAISY book. I was also able to access the instruction manual using AMIS. I have one final question. I understand the Save As Full DAISY options. When would I use the DAISY XML options? Thanks so much for all of your help. Paul

Hello Prashant. I installed the incorrect version. I uninstalled the 64 bit version and installed the 32 bit version. Now all is well. I was able to resolve the error in the accessibility demo document and translate it to a full DAISY book. I was also able to access the instruction manual using AMIS. I have one final question. I understand the Save As Full DAISY options. When would I use the DAISY XML options? Thanks so much for all of your help. Paul

Very pleased that the issue is now resolved.

You should use the DAISY XML option only when you want to further process the document in a tool like DAISY Pipeline or Tobi. This option of Save as DAISY creates an XML file for further processing. It is not suitable for direct reading.

There are several step by step tutorials and videos on Save as DAISY in DAISYpedia at http://www.daisy.org/daisypedia/microsoft-word-add-in

In particular please see the articles on formatting the text before using Save as DAISY. Proper markup is essential for building navigation in the resulting book.

Hello Prashant. Thanks again for your help and resources. Now that I've got the add in and Amis running I can work through the tutorials.

Hi;
I installed Daisy for Office 2013 - 64bit running on Windows 7-64bit, everything seems Ok, just for my first document the validation went withotu any error then to SaveAs_Daisy Full, the box of "Initializing translation, please wait" stay there for more than 30 mn! is it normal behavior? Checking the Task manager the WinWord process is running no stauration for the RAM or the CPU. the document is 449 pages, 207,888 words, 1021828 characters with no spaces, 1234702 characters with spaces, 4089 ^paragraphs and 16942 lines. Any idea how long it may need to be processed? any benchmarking data for the Word 2013 plugin?

Hello Mitchell. I tried the daisy plugin for a very short book and didn't have any problems. I don't know about limitations or bench marks. Please let us know how long it took.

I have this same problem. My office is 2010, but with the other installation nothing seemed to happen so I installed SaveAsDAISY_for_Office2013. The thing is I am able to turn some of my files into DTBooks but not others. The problem is that my study books are in that list. I got my licensing prep book from Kaplan as a pdf. They gave it to me as part of their online course. So I turned it into a word document with UniPDF in order to then turn it into a DTBook with SaveAsDaisy. The thing is that with this book the software freezes at "Initializing Translation. Please Wait..." I even split the book into small parts to see if it was the size of the book and it didn't help.

Here is a link with the first 9 pages of the book: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3925733/1_Kaplan%20-%20Series%206%20Licensing%20Exam%20Manual.docx

The purpose of conversion of any document to DAISY format is to provide better navigation and richer reading experience.

The document should be marked up using Word and DAISY styles and alt text should be provided to images. One should take care of tables, lists, footnotes etc and mark them as per the Save as DAISY guidelines. Then only the document should be converted to DAISY.

Note that when text is copied into Word from different sources or when PDFs are converted, lot of cleaning needs to be done before it can be converted to DAISY format.

The document sent by you does not contain any headings, it has 126 objects, mostly decorative and unnecessary. This document needs to be cleaned up and marked up using heading and other appropriate styles. Please look up the Text Markup guidelines for Save as DAISY and translate this document after you apply all the rules and validate it.

Do write again to inform us of your progress.