AMIS runtime error

Forums: 

I intalled AMIS on a windows XP computer, as a local administrator and it opens and runs normally.
When I Iog in as a limited user and try to open the program I get this error:
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\AMIS\AMIS.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime LIbrary
I gave the entire C drive modify permissions to all users, just to rule it out, no help.
thank you.
Kathy

thank you

Dear Kathy,
Are you using the latest version of AMIS. The current version is AMIS v3.1.3 and is available from http://www.daisy.org/amis.
The error you reported was a bug in a previous version and has been resolved.

Also let us know the Language of your Windows.

Prashant

Yes it is 3.1.3. English. This is still a problem.
thank you

I am also having the same issue- the program works great if you are a local machine administrator but will not work without.

Runtime Error
Program C:\Program Files\AMIS\AMIS.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminateit in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Then you say OK and it closes then I get a Windows Message box that states the following:

AMIS (Adaptive Multimedia Information System) has stopped working.

We are not able to reproduce the error you reported. Please send the AMIS log file which you can find at the location
C:\Program Files\AMIS\install.log

on my email ID pverma[at the rate]daisy.org

I see the same error with Amis 3.1.3 Swedish.

Granting the user full permissions recursively under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AMIS will make the error disappear and allow the program to start. The problem can probably be worked around more fine grained than this but an official fix would be preferred.

This sounds alot like previous problems with Amis;
http://www.daisy.org/forums/100

Hi all,

For the three people reporting problems in this thread, could you report your OS (I see one XP)? And, are you installing AMIS as administrator or as some other user?

Marisa

I install Amis as System User via Novell Zenworks Configuration management 11, by the same method of which we distribute and install hundreds of other software bundles. I've verified the problem by manually installing Amis as local Administrator on a clean system , and then running it as a regular local user. The OS is Windows XP Professional SP3.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I am new to AMIS. Installed it on a student computer. Opens fine on my login (Administrator), Runtime error when logged in as student. Changed the Folder Security to Full Control for Everyone. Problem still exists. Latest AMIS download v3.1.3. Windows XP SP3.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. There's obviously a problem here! I'll make this high-priority to fix for 3.1.4. Has anyone noticed that older AMIS versions were fine, and that it broke with 3.1.3?

Is there an ETA for 3.1.4 because I have to give Students rights on the local machine which I really really REALLY don't want to give ;)

BTW For Windows 7 users. You can give Change access to the (local) users on the folder c:\programdata\AMIS.

We should have a fix released early this spring. Sorry I can't be more specific right now.

Marisa

Dear all,

I am looking into this issue, but I cannot reproduce it, so that's going to make it a bit tricky to fix. I would like to request that anyone experiencing this issue with AMIS email me a detailed log file. Here are the instructions for getting this file:

1. Look under the "Start" menu folder "Program Files, AMIS, Additional"
2. Choose "AMIS Debug", which will generate a log file with lots of details, unlike the regular AMIS log file.
3. Wait for AMIS to crash.
4. Find the log file. It is in one of three places:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AMIS\settings\amisLog.txt
Windows Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\AMIS\settings\amisLog.txt
Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\AMIS\settings\amisLog.txt

5. Email the log file to marisa [dot] demeglio [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks
Marisa

Hello,

Tried to start AMIS 3.1.3 in debug mode as a limited user, gave the same error. So, even in debug mode, it won't start.
The error log is still the old one from a couple of months ago, so no refresh there.

Loggin in as an administrator and looking at the application log this is the result:

==================================
Logboeknaam: Application
Bron: Application Error
Datum: 26-4-2012 19:09:08
Gebeurtenis-id:1000
Taakcategorie: (100)
Niveau: Fout
Trefwoorden: Klassiek
Gebruiker: n.v.t.
Computer: LTPRAGO22
Beschrijving:
Naam van toepassing met fout: AMIS.exe, versie: 3.0.0.0, tijdstempel: 0x4ec6ca9b
Naam van module met fout: MSVCR80.dll, versie: 8.0.50727.4927, tijdstempel: 0x4a2752ff
Uitzonderingscode: 0x40000015
Foutoffset: 0x000046b4
Id van proces met fout: 0x1058
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01cd23cf4655adc8
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Program Files (x86)\AMIS\AMIS.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5\MSVCR80.dll
Rapport-id: 8877b3ee-8fc2-11e1-973a-705ab6f78818
Gebeurtenis-XML:

0x80000000000000

Application
LTPRAGO22

AMIS.exe
4ec6ca9b
MSVCR80.dll
4a2752ff
000046b4
01cd23cf4655adc8
C:\Program Files (x86)\AMIS\AMIS.exe
C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5\MSVCR80.dll
8877b3ee-8fc2-11e1-973a-705ab6f78818

===============================

Hope this helps?

Regards, Bert.

Would those of you who reported this issue be able to test with AMIS 3.1.4 to see if it's still a problem?

http://www.daisy.org/projects/amis/downloads/Setup-amis-3.1.4-BETA.exe

Thanks Marisa

Hello all,
We have the same issue with the Runtime error as above. I had the IT install 3.1.4 beta and we still get the same error message. OS is XP SP3.
Thanks,
Amanda

Thanks for the feedback. I think it is still an issue with XP. It's fine with Windows 7. I will have another look before releasing 3.1.4 stable; maybe we can find a workaround.

Hello! Did you find any solutions for this problem ? I intalled AMIS on a windows 7 computer, as a local administrator and it opens and runs normally.
Runtime Error!

I have Amis 3.1.3 Swedish and also tried to install the latest beta but it still dont work for users with no admin rights.
Please give me som tip of how to fix it.

Hello! Did you find any solutions for this problem ? I intalled AMIS on a windows 7 computer, as a local administrator and it opens and runs normally.
Runtime Error!

I have Amis 3.1.3 Swedish and also tried to install the latest beta but it still dont work for users with no admin rights.
Please give me som tip of how to fix it.

With AMIS 3.1.4 beta, I am able to install as admin and run as a limited user on Windows 7 but not XP. Did you try uninstalling AMIS completely before installing the beta?

Marisa

Same problem here on XP, i'll switch to Windows 7 in few days and i'll be back with news

Stan part of Traduceri legalizate team

I did not have any amis installation on this computer before. I still don´t get any success ? Please what to do ? The only way to get out of it is to get administrator previleges, and that is not ok for us to do. I have tried to get admin previleges to the "AMIS" catalouge but it still dont work.

Here's what I am able to do on Windows 7 (latest service pack, all updates installed, etc):

1. As admin: Create "standard user" account (not administrative) through the control panel.
  2. As admin: Download and install AMIS 3.1.4 beta
  3. Log off
  4. Log in as standard user
  5. As standard user: Start AMIS from the desktop shortcut

It works fine for me and plays a book. How are you creating your limited user accounts? Is there another way? Going through the control panel and creating a "standard" user was the only option I saw.

For those asking about Windows XP, do your users each have their own "limited" account, or do they share a common one?

Hello again. All of our users need to login to the university domain. So i cant create all of these users in a local goup. Is it a local account you mean ? Or should i gell "all users" in this group ?

(Put all users in this group should i write ;-)

I didn't know what type of environment you were in -- I thought maybe it was a small classroom with one computer and one shared "student" login. But I see at the university level that, of course, you have something more than this.

Anyway, if you had just needed to make it work for one non-admin user account in particular, there is a slightly hacky workaround. You can 1. delete the AMIS settings files as the admin and 2. re-create the settings files (for example by downloading them) as that user. When you've done this, that user can run AMIS and not have any trouble with permissions when AMIS tries to write to those files.

Maybe there's a way to change permissions on the AMIS settings directory (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AMIS\settings) to allow the limited users read/write access. I'm not familiar enough with administering a windows network to know exactly what needs to be done.

Marisa

Using 3.1.3 Swedish
On the computer with only one user this works, on the shared computer I get the runtime error that indicates that the user have no access to AMIS Settings etc.

Why?

This is really weird.

/Henrik

Dear Henrik, As you would have read on this forum AMIS needs access to its files for storing settings etc. From a limited user account this is not possible. See the suggestions given by Marisa on this page to make AMIS work from non-admin accounts.