"Search" Command

Forums: 

Hello,

I’m trying to customize the AMIS software (last version). I added to the navigation bar an icon for the “search in the text” using the command ID_AMIS_FIND_IN_TEXT. This command correspond to the shortcut “CTRL+B”.
But actually I would like to create an icon for the type of search corresponding to the shortcut “CTRL+F”. I’ve been looking for the command a lot of time (http://daisy.trac.cvsdude.com/amis/wiki/Commands) but I couldn’t find it. Do you have any ideas/tips? Thanks in advance!

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

You are correct that the command ID is ID_AMIS_FIND_IN_TEXT. What language version of AMIS are you using? In the English version, the keyboard shortcut for "Search in text" is Ctrl+F. For other languages, the translators had the option to modify the keyboard shortcuts to pick something suitable, so, for example, if you're using the Spanish version, the keyboard shortcut would be Ctrl+B instead of Ctrl+F. Does this information help at all?

Marisa

Hi Marisa,

Thank you for your reply. I'm using the Spanish version of AMIS.

In my version the shortcut Ctrl+B opens a dialogue with the simple option "search in the text" ("buscar en el texto"). Otherwise the shortcut Ctrl+F opens a dialogue with the options: “Search” and other options such as “previous” (word) and “next” (word). It seems to be another type of search, so I understand that there would be two types of search command. ID_AMIS_FIND_IN_TEXT corresponds to the first type of search command. I'd like to know if exists a command associate to the second type of search.

I’m not sure I’ve explained my question clearly.

Thank you very much for you help,

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

I believe what's happening is that, while Spanish AMIS does not respond itself to Ctrl + F, the underlying internet explorer control is reacting to it and showing its own "find text" dialog. This is actually a bug in AMIS (thanks for reporting it!), and there's no way to invoke it through the toolbars.

Marisa

Hi Marisa,

thank you for helping me.

Let me suggest you that the implementation of the search function similar to the one I reported could be useful for users with low vision. According to the usability tests I’ve just made, this type of user prefers to search the words in the text using the buttons “previous word” and “next word” in the search dialogue.

Best regards,

Bruno

Thanks for the suggestion! So far we've just used keyboard shortcuts -- the user uses the dialog to find the word they want, and then uses F3 or Shift + F3 to find previous/next occurrences. I'll make a note about using buttons instead in our ideas bucket.

Ok so I wasn't able to reproduce the bug using the Spanish language pack. If I run AMIS in Spanish and press "Ctrl + F", nothing happens. Could you supply a screenshot and tell us your version of IE?

I run AMIS in Spanish in a laptop using IE 9, Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1 and Chrome 21 in Wiindows 7. When I press "crtl+F", the following search box appears:

I'm sorry, in the previous message I made a mistake. When I press "Ctrl+B" the following search box appears:http://bd.ub.edu/pub/splendiani/AMIS.png.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll add this to our issue tracker. It looks like the default internet explorer search box is appearing. This can be explained by the fact that AMIS embeds IE for its main text display; however, I'm not sure why it doesn't happen for English as well. Does anyone else notice it for other languages?