DAISY XML to OpenDocument

Forums: 

Hello,

Is the DAISY consortium aware of any initiatives that will provide DAISY XML-to-OpenDocument convertion in the near future? OpenDocument is the XML-based file format for OpenOffice.org.

We at K.U.Leuven have recieved this question a couple of times now. As you probably know, we have already developed OpenOffice.org extensions for *exporting* DAISY and Braille files from within OpenOffice.org. It might be an interesting idea to provide an option for *importing* DAISY files as well. That is, if there is currently nobody else working on such a converter.

Kind regards,
Bert Frees

Responding on behalf of Mr. George Kerscher:

"We have considered the import function of DAISY 3 content in dtbook. I believe this would be more viable in DAISY’s Authoring and Interchange option. Here the authoring tools of Word and Open Office could be used to import and export content according to the DAISY Authoring and Interchange specification. I would also hope that the distribution formats would be an option as well."

Thank you for your response.

Hello,

Can anybody let me know the use of

markup in DTBook XML?

Thanks
Sunny

Dear Sunny,

Have a Look here and open the first sample code, should be self explanatory, if not, hit me again...:
http://www.daisy.org/z3986/structure/SG-DAISY3/part2-block.html#paragraph

Best
Olaf

Dear Olaf,

This guides how and when to use the

markup. But what is its actual use for a person who is blind or has reading disability?

Thanks in advance
Sunny

Dear Sunny,

any DAISY markup makes the content machine readable, or more so. Depending on the "intelligence" of your reading system, some of the markup might not be interpretable.

But take the human readable markup in a text: Interpunction; without it we would have the toughest of times to make sense of an uninterrupted stream of words. Or take for example the raging discussion about camel case, some think it provides more information, some think it ugly; useful it is.

Class attributes may not be of overwhelming use to a particular print disability, but may be that to another. Since the DAISY Standard attempts to provide access to information for the widest possible aspects of the disability spectrum, the markup nomenclature tries to reflect that by representing any part in, and function of a text by a tag, <p class="*"></p> being one of them.

Does this help?

Best
Olaf

Dear Olaf,

This information is quite helpful. Thanks a lot

Cheers,
Sunny

Thanks for your great and helpful info....

http://vebxperts.com