Tobi is a multimedia production tool for creating human narrated talking books synchronized with text and images conforming to the DAISY 3 and EPUB 3 standard.
Tobi is open-source software and is available free of charge from the DAISY Consortium. Tobi is built with extensibility in mind, based on a plugin architecture that greatly facilitates the development of new features, and the incorporation of external contributions.
- Tobi is designed to ease the process of synchronizing a text document with human narration, including page numbers, hierarchical table of contents, images, footnotes, etc.
- Tobi provides a live recording workflow that is fully-integrated with structured text (i.e. document markup). Tobi can also import external audio clips in MP3, MP4, M4A and WAV formats.
- Tobi's zoomable and multilevel waveform editor support selection, delete, insert, cut/copy/paste, playback, punch-in punch-out recording, etc.
- Tobi offers a basic text editing feature (handy to fix typos). Although basic structure editing is included, it is recommended to author text documents as part of a proven XML workflow, and use Tobi for multimedia synchronization only.
- Tobi also provides an editor for rich DIAGRAM image descriptions.
Tobi can import-
- DTBook XML documents: Tobi supports the semantically-rich DTBook XML document format, which is currently used by the DAISY standard, the NIMAS framework and the EPUB format. DTBook documents can be created from scratch using the Save As DAISY addons for Microsoft Word and Open Office, or by converting from other formats using the open-source DAISY Pipeline tool.
- DAISY 3 and EPUB 3 text only/full-text full-audio books: Tobi can import existing DAISY 3 and EPUB 3 making it easy to re-purpose or fix material that is already published.
- MathML-in-DAISY (embedded mathematical equations / formulas), and MathML within EPUB3 HTML5 documents.
- Support for the DAISY Pipeline2 is included (v1.7+), to migrate from DTBOOK, DAISY3, DAISY2.02 to EPUB3.
- Support for Scalable Vector Graphics images, and inline SVG markup.
- DIAGRAM XML
Text is available under the terms of the DAISY Consortium Intellectual Property Policy, Licensing, and Working Group Process.