The focal point in Sri Lanka was established in August 2004.
This training course focused on NCC only production and full text production using Sigtuna DAR 3. Since there was a session on MyStudio PC prior to the Focal Point Training, this course only covered the usage of Sigtuna DAR 3 and basics of DAISY DTB.
Since the level of the trainees were different, it could have been pretty slow for some trainees and pretty fast for some trainees. Also, there were some people who are not really familiar with the usage of the computer and it was really difficult for those people to operate on the production tool.
For this training course, Prashant and Santosh who participated in the International Trainer's Training and assisted in the Focal Point Training in India last year participated. Prashant did the most of the part in the training and Santosh covered some parts in the training. three assistant who were trained in the International Trainer's Training attended. It was a really good opportunity for those three to assist in the real training course and Prashant and Santosh took a part in training. They are not able to do the whole training yet, however, they would be able to run the basic training course after assisting more those kind of training courses.
There was a same problem which happened in Malaysia regarding the system settings of the PCs. Since there were one machine which was not used by anybody and the we could get the help from the supplier for the PCs, we found out the cause of the problem. All the PCs purchased in Sri Lanka was reinstalled with Windows 2000 and they were working fine when we left there.
The evaluation summary is attached [dfafpt_evaluation_SriLanka.txt].
The course outline follows.
- Introduction of the Trainees & Trainers
- Introduction of DAISY for All Project
- Course Objectives and Overview
- Introduction to DAISY Digital Talking Books
- Introduction to The DAISY Consortium
- DTB functionality overview
- The DTB types
- User groups and use scenarios overview
- Playback tools overview
- Demonstration of Hardware & Software Playback Tools
- DAISY DTB Production
- Recap: DTB types
- Production tools overview
- NCC-Only DTB Production
- Sigtuna DAR 3
- Main screen overview and functions
- Project set up
- Build/compress, compression
- Practice: Produce DAISY 2.02 NCC (type 2) book
- Quality Assurance (QA Player)
- Practice: Tape transfer
- Sigtuna DAR 3
- Introduction to XHTML
- Overview XHTML DTD
- Full Text DTB Production
- Sigtuna DAR 3 Workflow
- Practice: Source Document creation
- Sigtuna DAR 3: Producing a Full Text DAISY DTB
- Project set up
- Practice direct recording
- Produce DAISY 2.02 book
- Practice source creation
- Practice creating a project with wave import
- Audio Compression
- Using external encoder
- Daisy 2.02 Validator
- Review, Questions and Answers
Follow-up Training Report
Group Photo at Sri Lanka Training
- Ability of participants to produce error free DAISY DTBs
- Ability of participants to produce DAISY DTBs in their regional language
- Ability of participants to provide support for other DAISY producings organizations within their region
- Fluent Windows user;
- Good English comprehension;
- Some experience and familiarity with DAISY 2.02 production and production tools; at minimum NCC-Only production.
- Ability to communicate well and instruct others effectively
- Understanding of the scope, usability and functionality of the DAISY technology
- Understanding of XHTML and markup techniques in English and Sinhala documents;
- Understanding of NCC-Only and Full-text production workflow, techniques and tools;
- Understanding of the DAISY DTB fileset
- Knowledge of close future evolution of the technology
There were eleven participants from different organization in Sri Lanka. The course was designed to be a advanced training for the DAISY DTB production to help their own country to implement DAISY.
In this training, participants worked on their own producing several DAISY DTBs including full text DTB in Sinhala which is their local language. Also, group discussion style was used during the training to discuss problems in DAISY DTBs.
The training covered how to create better DAISY DTBs which includes; production of TOC only DTBs, xhtml, validation and production of full text DAISY DTBs in English and Sinhala, and how to fix the problematic DAISY DTBs.
Seven people completed the final DAISY full text project and presented it at the last day of the training. Six out of seven people produced Sinhala DAISY full text projects and one produced English DAISY full text project. Also, other people who were not able to complete their final projects presented the obstacles when creating their projects. The reason for those people who were not able to finish the project was time. All of them were in the middle of editing process.
There were few problems found during this training. It was quite difficult to communicate with most of the participants in English. Because of this problem, trainers were not able to help them in depth without interpretation. Also, a lot of participants were not fluent in using computers. There were several people who did not know where they saved files and projects.
Even though the participants have learnt quite a lot during this training, it is quite important that they keep on producing DAISY DTBs and studying from the materials delivered at the end of the training on their own. It would be really important to have some involvements of people who are good in using computers and who understand web technologies to help those producers.
During the training
At the end of the training, all the participants received 2 CDs. The contents of the CDs follow;
- Resource CD containing Training Materials, Sample Books, and Software (Playback and related software)
- Project CD containing participants projects including final projects
With this report, there are three documents attached.
- List of the participants [participants_list_srilanka_200610.html]
- Readme for Resource CD [readme_cd1.html] (links do not work)
- Readme for Project CD [readme_cd2.html] (links do not work)
Closing Remarks by Anthony Bernard(middle) with Director of UCSC(right) and Prashant(left)
Day 1: October 23, 2006
- NCC only project - daisy 2.02 specification in short
Day 2: October 24, 2006
- Exercise 1
- find what is wrong with two projects provided
- find out how to fix the problems
- fix the problems
- Exercise 2
- use the project provided and figure out the problems
- fix the problem(first text event missing in NCC only project)
- Exercise 3
Use own project and check if it has any problems. If there are prlblems, fix them
Introduction to XHTML
- The XHTML language; hands on practice markup
Practice 1: Introduction to DAISY
- XHTML Validation
Full Text DTB Production
- Bruno and project generation
- MDF - using "daisy_fullText.mdf"
- QAPlayer to check the synchronization points
Day 3: October 25, 2006
Full Text DTB Production
- Recording Settings
DAISY 2.02 DTB fileset
- Fileset members
- DTB Logic
Problem Solving on Full Text DTB
- Fixing the project with text event missing
Creating an XHTML document in Sinhala
Practice 2: Sinhala document
Day 4: October 26, 2006
Creating a project using Sinhala source document
- Export (Encoding)
Day 5: October 27, 2006
Creating a final project
Creation and completion of a full text project;
- source markup
- source validation and correction
- project generation
- editing, proofreading
- DTB validation